As the fall semester approaches, I wanted to provide you with an update on the flood recovery of the Iowa Memorial Union, the status of its operations, and the temporary locations of some of its offices.
The cleaning process is now finished and the mechanical restoration work has begun. We are working to have floors one to three of the IMU open to the public by mid-semester. We will provide updates to the UI community as the work progresses and we are able to determine a firm opening date.
In the meantime, many important activities and services provided in the IMU continue to operate and provide critical services to the UI community. The Office of Student Life is temporarily housed in W300 Seashore Hall. Important student programs will continue so that students are provided with meaningful and relevant out-of-classroom experiences.
- The University Book Store is ready for the fall semester. The University Book Store is located in University Capitol Centre (Old Capitol Town Center) on the first floor. Textbooks that have been ordered by faculty will be available for students. The bookstore’s Apple Campus Store is also located on the first floor of the University Capitol Centre.
- IMU Catering continues to provide on-campus catering. Catering sales can be contacted at 335.3114 to place orders. We are also pleased to announce the appointment of a new Executive Chef. Chef Donovan Campbell brings to the UI a great deal of culinary skill and creativity. Classically trained at Le Cordon Bleu culinary academy, with Pan Asian expertise, Chef Donovan held executive chef positions at Bellagio Hotel Resort Inc., Wynn Las Vegas Hotel & Resort Inc., and Event Solutions in southern California.
- Plans are to open The Iowa House Hotel around the same time as the other parts of the IMU this fall. The Hotel is accepting reservations for dates after January 1, 2009. Please call 335.3513 to make reservations.
- The Campus Information Center is located on the first floor of the University Capitol Centre.
- Departments and individuals with reservations for meeting room space and Iowa House Hotel rooms are being notified if we are not able to provide space as a result of the flooding.
- University Box Office—first floor of the University Capitol Centre (south end near parking ramp)
- IMU Human Resources—2840 University Capitol Centre
- IowaOne Card Office (ID Card)—Jessup Hall, Room 3
- University of Iowa Community Credit Union—500 Iowa Avenue
The IMU has been an important community center for the University of Iowa since 1925. Although we have had a slight setback as a result of the flooding, we plan to come back better and to provide the quality services and programs that you and our students expect. Thank you for your patience and understanding.