View news from this page and other flood-related resources at the UI Flood Recovery Web site.

Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Law students clean up flood damage in Cedar Rapids

A group of University of Iowa law students will help clean up flood damage in Cedar Rapids on Nov. 1, following up on the work of 70 other law students earlier in the fall. Iowa law students have made three previous trips to the city, where they mucked out and gutted flood damaged buildings and helped clean a playground. Students also went door-to-door leaving fliers with information about Iowa Legal Aid and how flood victims can protect their legal rights.

"The students worked their hearts out," said Brian Farrell, director of the law school's Academic Achievement Program, who accompanied one group. Many students were shocked at the damage.

"I was really amazed because it was the first time I had seen the devastation done to Cedar Rapids," said law student Brian Shust. "I think the thing that sticks out most is seeing toy stuffed animals, dirty and torn, just littered about houses and streets. That is an image that will stay with me as I pray for those people. I am glad that I got the chance to make a small difference in Cedar Rapids." Full story...